Monday, January 7, 2013

Genuis Hour Reflection

Genius Hour Reflection


Teacher Comments
Game- www.jjja-games.blogspot.ca
Blog to log process- good idea.

* Surprised- thought it would be more "dynamic" (Games are fun! Exciting!) initial appearance- not just black and white (?)

Orally- all are reading, no eye contact, most expressive voice

Jarrod- some eye contact- but also rocking side to side

Game Maker- Jarrod getting more confident
Jadyn- Visual - hard to see - Black against starry night

Johnny - trouble generating ideas

Need to test
realistic for timeframe
Attack of the Burgers - Can't see it so describing orally

Rehearse for presentation - timing + transitions

Alayna - Crystal Puncher -"girl power" (Hey!)

Jarrod- interesting
adrome on proven game

Biggest trouble - rehearsing + transition - smooth - for presentation










Criteria

The Situation:

We are all interested in video games and we have always wondered how to design and program one. As well as designing a website to post the games on. We think this is important to our stakeholders because they might have wanted to make a game as well.

Objective:

To design games and to make a website/blog to post them on. The end product should be a website with playable games.

Summary:

We are planning on making games to post on a website/blog. We think our stakeholders will be interested because they might also be interested in the process of making games themselves.

What We Intend To Do:

We intend to show our stakeholders how to design/make video games & websites as well as improve our own understanding. We will mostly be using the GameMaker program, we might also be using a few programming languages like XNA if we have time..

AOI :
Approaches to learning
Human Ingenuity
Specifications:

  1. The project should be finished in 4~~~~6 weeks.
  2. Most of the games should be made with GameMaker.
  3. There should be a website/blog to share the process and the games.
  4. There should be 3~6 games made & posted on the website.
  5. The games should be playable and fun.
  6. The games should be either posted on the website or able to be downloaded on the website.
  7. Describe the genres of the games, how they were created.

Questions:
Google spreadsheet

Research:

How to make a website (html, website hosting, ect...).
How to use paths in GameMaker(pathfinding).

Resources/Supplies:
USB’s
Get Gamemaker: Studio
My Reflection

I think me and my group met all the specifications and criteria we made other than the finishing in 4-6 weeks part.

As for my expectations for myself I think I  exceeded them; My game turned out better than I thought it would, and I was proud of the part of the speech I did.

My group worked really well together in terms of giving feedback, problem solving, and pushing each other to work outside of class/staying on task.

1.The biggest obstacle me and my group had was problem solving. When making a game anything can go wrong. One example is Jadyn(A member of the group) was having trouble with his character getting stuck in the floor.

2.There was also the problem of communication sometimes, this didn’t happen often but a member would forget to check their email or our blog when someone needed help.

3.It was extremely difficult to practice the presentation since we couldn’t get together so there was lots of downtime to set up for the presentation.

To avoid these problems we would:

1. We would meet up in the library at lunch, or post on the blog our suggestions, unfortunately you can’t avoid these problems.

2.The next day we would ask them the question, and ask them to check their email and the blog. Sadly this is also a problem you can’t avoid.

3.We couldn’t address this problem, but to avoid it next time I would see if the group could get together weekly(work on project/presentation/rehearse)

Lastly in order to improve the process I think I would log more in depth, and for the presentation I would get done earlier so I could practice more, so I wouldn’t have to look at my cue cards as often.

No comments:

Post a Comment